Friday, August 14, 2009

"Footloose" at Tuacahn is hot, steamy fun

But not hot and steamy in that way. Tuacahn Amphitheatre is in St. George, where it was over 100 degrees on Tuesday when I had a little break from the merciless job hunt, and went to see "Footloose" with my sisters, Stapley grandparents, and cousin Sarah.

You could almost see the shivery lines of steam coming off of people's bodies down there. Even after dark, when the play takes place, there is no easing of the temperature. The only thing the dark brings at Tuacahn are the bats! They live in the red rock cliffs that make up the awesome amphitheatre.

I have always wanted to go to a play at Tuacahn, and this was my first time! And I think I lucked out on the play I got to see! Footloose is full of dancing, singing, hicks and one misfit city boy.

But the best part was that I got to take a road trip with my sisters and spend some time with Grandma and Grandpa Stapley in Summit, Utah! Oh, and I guess I also got to know Phineus, (however you spell it) the kind of creepy sock monkey that my sisters are obsessed with.


In St. George, just outside of the Pizza Factory, by the Life is Good store.



I had no idea the play would be as awesome as it was! The characters came out on stage dancing, singing, and full of energy -- you immediately start bouncing in your chair and clapping your hands.
Here we are: Ariel/Emily and Ren/Maddie.


So, we all fell in love with Ren, because he was played by Thayne Jasperson, who appeared on "So You Think You Can Dance." And, boy, could he dance! And sing, too! My favorite song was "Almost Paradise" sung by Ren and Ariel.
And after the show, we got to meet the actors! My sisters were gushing over Ren, so I told them they needed to say something to him that he would remember. I told Natalie to say "You TOTALLY kicked Kevin Bacon's butt" to him and she did! He kind of blushed, laughed out loud and said, "Thanks." It was definitely a shocker for him to hear that!


Here's Natalie (and, of course, the monkey that smells like chlorine) meeting the heartthrob!




Oh my goodness!!! He put his arms around Natalie and Lauren!! Sorry, Emily, you got cut out of this picture!




It's OK, though, because here you are front and center!



Thank you Grandma and Grandpa! This was SO much fun and a wonderfully distracting little break!




1 comment:

fivewoods said...

I'm jealous!!! Aunt Cindy