Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What's with Wuthering?

Has anyone read Wuthering Heights?

I’ve heard a little about it from my sister-in-law, but after watching about 20 minutes of it – that’s all I could handle – on Masterpiece Theater (I think that’s what it’s called) on Sunday, I’m kind of afraid of it now. I think it’s because Heathcliff had a huge nose, long ratty black hair and gigantic pale blue bug eyes. He looked like he smelled like something that had been rotting for a year, and he was just scary. He was a big man with big thighs, and ran around and yelled at people. Is that how he’s supposed to be? It seems like he should be a little romantic, but what do I know?

But really, this is all about Edward. Well, mostly. My curiosity in Wuthering Heights comes mostly from Twilight. I’m pathetic. Edward often relates to Heathcliff, and has lines from the book memorized. So that sparked my interest in the book. BUT, Edward is not the only reason I want to read it. (I like speaking about Edward as if he really exists.) I noticed the author is Emily Bronte. Is she related to Charlotte Bronte, who wrote Jane Eyre? If she is, I know it’s got to be an interesting story. I don’t know if Emily Bronte could come up with anything as great as monstrous psycho wives hidden in the attic, though. Finally, I want to read it because I think it’s just one of those classics. If Stephenie Meyer, who majored in literature at BYU, mentions it in her books along with Pride and Prejudice (one of the greatest of all time) and Sense and Sensibility, it’s got to mean something.

Maybe after I finish reading Breaking Dawn (this is only my second time through the series – see, I’m not that bad, like, cough cough, EMILY) and Midnight Sun (sigh), I’ll venture away from Meyer literature to the library for something that doesn’t involve steamy vampires. (Not that I think they’re steamy.)

2 comments:

Nedge said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

Yes, Emily Bronte was Charlotte Bronte's younger sister by two years. She published under the name of Ellis Bell, while Charlotte was under Currer Bell.

Heathcliff is supposed to be like that. Here's his character analysis, maybe it'll make more sense:
"Heathcliff - An orphan brought to live at Wuthering Heights by Mr. Earnshaw, Heathcliff falls into an intense, unbreakable love with Mr. Earnshaw's daughter Catherine. After Mr. Earnshaw dies, his resentful son Hindley abuses Heathcliff and treats him as a servant. Because of her desire for social prominence, Catherine marries Edgar Linton instead of Heathcliff. Heathcliff's humiliation and misery prompt him to spend most of the rest of his life seeking revenge on Hindley, his beloved Catherine, and their respective children (Hareton and young Catherine). A powerful, fierce, and often cruel man, Heathcliff acquires a fortune and uses his extraordinary powers of will to acquire both Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange, the estate of Edgar Linton." (Thank you, Sparknotes, said it better than I could.)

All in all, it's a pretty crazy and intense story. I think you'd like it.

Bing Math said...

My mom gave me the book for Christmas one year. I've read the first page at least 3-4 times, but have not made it past that. I have a mint condition copy at my mama's house if you'd like to borrow it.