Friday, March 19, 2010

Blogs and bellys

I've been having mixed feelings about blogs lately. What is their purpose? Why do people like to publish pictures and information -- often intimate and personal -- on a public domain that anyone can look at?

I love looking at blogs, though. Many of them are so pretty to look at and funny to read. Some tell you, using pictures, how to make yummy things to eat. Others are very inspirational. And often they provide great and easy ways to catch up with family and friends that you don't get to see much.

I think blogging requires a talent. Well, good blogging requires talent. I do not feel like I have that talent. My enjoyment from blogs comes almost completely from reading them, not actually creating them.

That's how I feel about books too. People ask me about my major in school and my work now and say, "You should write a novel." Ha. Ha. What would I write about? Somebody already stole my hero vampires story idea anyway. Sheesh.

I would rather read novels than write them. I have been so grateful for reading lately. Wuthering Heights and now The Return of the Native have been the most wonderful distractions for me in the past couple of weeks. I tend to worry about things. And go WAY overboard doing so. And I'm creative about it. "What could be the worst possible thing that could ever happen in this situation?" I find myself wondering and coming up with gruesome and nightmarish circumstances.

But these books kind of turn off that part of my brain, and force me to focus on the silly, weird and sometimes disturbing social quirks of the late 18Th Century. Think about it: People spent their entire days walking around heaths, hiding behind bushes to spy on secret lovers while they fight, and fall in love with monstrous, abusive men with long black bushy hair. Oh yeah, and don't forget the superstitions of being born under certain moons, and ghosts. They will haunt you. People then speedily proceed to develop consumption and die. And what awesome stories they are! I absolutely love them.

Maybe I should write about the silly quirks of this day and age. Like ... BLOGGING! I'm sure that 150 years from now people will get the biggest kick out of reading what society was like in the early 2000s.

OK. Enough of that.




I can't believe I'm doing this. I'm not even sure why I'm doing this. But here are some recent pictures of ME! This is me 36 weeks pregnant. The countdown is on! And so is the extreme anxiety and panic. Thank goodness nobody actually looks at this blog. Whew!


5 comments:

Bing Math said...

I thought about a picture the other day. You are brave. The purpose of blogs: print them in a book every once in a while and call it a scrapbook/journal.

I like to read yours. Despite not wanting to write a novel, you do write well.

Lauren said...

Blogs are soooooo good to read when you are trying to stall study time from happenning. :)

Tara said...

I love your postings and your cute little belly!

freddyfly said...

I still read your blog!! I miss you! It looks like you're doing well! :)

Jackie Sanders said...

Wow! Really, that close? How exciting!
Thanks for the picts!!!
you'd best keep them coming for all of us
out-of-towners!
Can't wait to hear the story.