Thursday, April 16, 2009

Airport conversations ... oh, the intrigue

Okay, okay, (yes, I spelled it out instead of going with the AP style "OK") I know I just barely blogged about (my hopefully, someday brother-in-law -- go Natalie!) David Archuleta, but I stumbled upon this student column in USU's online newspaper the Hard News Cafe (http://www.hardnewscafe.usu.edu/) about a woman flashing herself while waiting for her flight in the Denver airport and had to share!

She didn't even get in trouble either. That's not the topic of the column, however. I was just glancing over it, looking for info on USU students (I feel like a stalker) and by the end of the first paragraph, I was hooked and ancored-down, I had to read the rest of the story.

It is amazing what this student was able to capture while sitting in an airport terminal! This is what I love most about writing -- when authors can capture everyday life moments and somehow portray these in a way that captivates the reader and makes them think, "Ah, life," while learning something new and committing to become more observant and appreciative of their normal, seemingly boring circumstances. Great job to the student who wrote this -- I would love to read more of his stuff!

Please read this, it is amazing:

http://www.hardnewscafe.usu.edu/archive/oct2008/101408_airporttalks.html

Quote from Mark Twain (1835-1910) (whose writing I've come to love over the past couple years): "I don't know anything that mars good literature so completely as too much truth."

1 comment:

Nedge said...

I liked it! A little tmi, but all well. In the dozens of times I've been in the airports over the past year, I haven't noticed anything bizarre like that. I think it's a rare situation...glad he could share it with the world!