Monday, April 20, 2009

Mormons should study other religions to be better Mormons

I wrote another article for the Deseret News. However, my writing skills (if I ever really had any to begin with) are going down hill since I'm not writing as much anymore. It was hard to write this one, and the editors cut it down quite a bit and made many things sound MUCH better than I had them. Oh, I'm sad about that. But very grateful they take my work at all!

This article is a feature on Professor Philip Barlow at USU and the one-of-a-kind university Religous Studies program that he helped start. He has some extremely interesting and deep insights on the study of religon and why it is essential for humankind in order to become absolutely "liberally educated" and competant citizens. I have to admit, he sparked my interest and made me sure that, if I ever went back to school, I would really want to pursue this kind of degree!

Here is the direct link to the article: http://www.mormontimes.com/people_news/education/?id=7348

2 comments:

Nedge said...

I really agree with this statement. I feel that studying other religions give us insight to ourselves, and to our religion.
I know for a certainty that studying C.S. Lewis's works has done wonders for me!

Bing Math said...

Nice article. I think you write very well!